Friday, October 9, 2009

Ceramists in Training

These are my favorite little cousins, Risa, Lea, and Vida. I know you’re not supposed to pick favorites, but with personalities even cuter than their little faces and trendy outfits, it’s hard not too. Ssshhh, don’t tell the others.


The girls took a ceramics class earlier this summer, and their Mom, my Aunt Ver and the mistress over at the Nesting Ground, sent me this picture of a plate made by Lea.

She’s only 7 people, and already way more talented than me! She molded the organic shape of the plate herself, and then used shells to form the flower petals. Super cute, right? The sweet design perfectly matches her sweet little self. My aunt wasn't sure, but I like to think she used Cover-Coat or E-Z Strokes to paint her design. I wish I could tell you the name of girls’ teacher, but my aunt couldn't remember and no website exists. The teacher’s a true artist who couldn't make a living doing her art, so now she gives classes out of a studio in her garage on the side. My aunt used the word “studio” lightly, as no attempt was made to make it look like a class or a workshop. It was literally just a garage. How cool is that?! I’m sure Indie artists have taken quite a hit in this economy, as people cut back on luxuries such as art. I love that this artist is capitalizing on the DIY movement, and at the same time sharing her love of ceramics with eager young students like my cousins. The girls are coming to visit this weekend, so I’m hoping these budding artists can give me a few pointers! That is if we’re not all in a food coma after our visit to the big, big, big, big, BIG Fresno Fair...




No comments:

Post a Comment